Saturday, March 4, 2017

The Amazing Miss Sammy in "Art is a Drag 2017"

Miss Sammy in "Art is a DRAG 2017"

Come to historic downtown Sanford, Florida on April 15 to experience a truly unique and exciting Art Walk event.

From 6-9pm, the official venues of the Sanford Art Walk will feature artists, exhibits and activities related to the art of DRAG. Acting as hostess and tour guides at each venue are some of Central Florida's most loved Drag Queens.
Miss Sammy in "Art is a Drag 2017" at the Gallery On First and the MC with Bridgette Galore at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center




Miss Sammy is a featured hostess at the Gallery On First and co-host to the official "Art is a DRAG SHOW" program at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center



Straight from the Queen herself ...


The official Miss Sammy Bio




I always loved to sing and dance.


After graduating from high school I left for NYC to study with great teachers.


I received a scholarship from a ballet company (U.S. Terpsichore), then worked in the shows at
Radio City Music Hall for a couple years, all the while training and taking classes.

I got a call to do a pre-B'way tour of 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' starring Debbie Boone and said 'yes' - I finally would get my Actor's Equity union card! 

We had a wonderful run, but the reviews killed us on Broadway. 

Soon after, I got cast in 'La Cage aux Folles'. We knew it would be a hit. THAT is where I learned to do drag. 

We had to be the 'townsmen' and also the drag queens that performed in the club, which was a whole new thing for me. Playboy magazine did a feature article on 'Women of Broadway' and they thought it would be a hoot to have one of the boys from LaCage in the photo-spread. Luckily, they chose me in October '84. It was the first time they had put a man in drag in a feature. 
When LaCage closed, I came back to Orlando for a break. 

I ended up opening a nightclub downtown called Big Bang. 

Four years later we closed that to help open the Firestone Club, where Miss Sammy was 'born' (I hadn't done drag at Big Bang). 

It was fun to sing and dance again....and I got to create different shows and promotions...game shows, karaoke, cabaret shows, etc., and even theatrical 'book' shows, which I am still doing 24 years later! 

Creating a 'niche' character like Miss Sammy is a way to keep working in show business. 

I have another character called 'Dick Swinger' (a 1970's ladies-man) that I love to do also for karaoke and special events. 

Drag has certainly changed over the decades, from plain entertainment to social consciousness and even political issues. 

I do it to entertain people, to make them laugh and forget their troubles for a little while. 

Miss Sammy brings out the best of my personality, and I look just like my mother did when she was going out for a night on the town! 

The new era of drag is even more important it seems...visibility is at an all-time high. Lately there has been a little 'backlash' from right-wing groups, but I think it raises awareness that our great country is made up of all kinds of people, and that's the whole point of our Constitution and government.

 Miss Sammy can actually stop and get something at 7-Eleven after work without worrying about being confronted or harmed. 

RuPaul, TV, movies, and the Press can claim responsibility for that....educating people and showing them that there's nothing to be afraid of when you come across people that are different from you. 

Events like 'Art is a Drag' are important in several ways....acceptance, tolerance, celebration of spirit, education, and the chance to enjoy the feeling of humanity....that we are all brothers and sisters on this roller-coaster ride called Earth...spinning wildly through the Universe for a very brief moment in time.


Orlando Weekly - It gets better (Sam Singhaus)


Thank you Miss Sammy for your sharing your talent, your spirit and your story.

#ArtisaDrag #Art #DragQueen #Drag #PerformanceArt #Paintings #ContemporaryArt #Diversity #EqualRights #Tolerance #RiseUp #LiveandLetLive #OrlandoStrong #LGBTQ