Sunday, March 5, 2017

Nikki Frantz Sanchez is in "Art is a Drag 2017"

On April 15, 2017, Nikki Frantz Sanchez is an official drag queen for "Art is a Drag"

You can visit with Nikki at Park Avenue Photography from 6-9pm during the Art Walk portion of the event. Then hop over to the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center to see her perform in the "Art is a DRAG SHOW" program from 9pm-12midnight.

Highlights from 1/28/2017 interview with Diego Larenas

How did you get started in drag?A bunch of us were at a friend's house (some of us gay, some straight) when his mom came home from shopping with a new dress. She wanted me to try it on and I did. One of my friends said that he thought I would look pretty as a girl and asked if I had ever thought about drag. I was 18 and just graduated from high school. Before then, I had never thought about drag. But he pulled out his phone and showed me a picture of a girl riding a bus - it was him! He ended up becoming my drag mother and within a few weeks I was in drag at a club.  
That's how it started. I loved it and just kept on doing it.

How did you get your drag name?
My drag mother named me because his drag family was the Taylors. He named me Nikki Taylor after the super-model. That was my very first drag name.
When my first drag mother moved away and the person who I'd been building a similar relationship with then became my drag mother -  who was a Sanchez. 
Once I started competing in pageants, one of my promoters saw a special something in me. He became my gay father and his last name is Frantz. So because they were the biggest influences in my pageant career and developing who Nikki really is, I decided to take on both of their names.

How did you feel the first times you were in drag?
I was really concerned about being out of school and not having the chorus. What chances were I going to have to perform? I loved it. My drag mother was so proud because so many people were throwing me shade because I looked so good for a first timer. 

What was your first performance like?
I had been saying I wanted to do a talent show for a long time when I ran into a friend at the mall who said there was one the next night in Orlando and he would help me get ready for it. He did my make-up, I wore all his clothes, we picked out a song . . . and I won! I don't think I was that great an entertainer, but I had a good look.

How long have you been doing it now?
My first time was in October 2005.

Can you describe yourself in 3 emoji's?
The laughing-till-you-cry face
The angel, because I like to be shady then tap it off with the angel face.
The smiley face for the same reason 

If you could tell your 15 year old self something what would it be?
It's okay to say NO. I have always been the person that every would go to when needed something - a shoulder to cry on, someone to vent to, rides, favors . . . and I never said 'NO'. 

If you had a talk show, who would be your first guest?
Probably my mother. She is my best friend and the perfect person to help introduce the real me in that public way.  

What did she think about you doing drag?
It was shortly after I came out to her. Luckily my aunt was there. I did what my drag mother did. I showed her picture and after looking at it a bit she gave me the side-eye. She started asking questions, wanting to know why I was doing it. It actually went well.

Has your mom seen you perform?
Yes, many times. She cries every time,  happy in support of me. Lots of my family have come to see me perform. I am lucky with the support I have.

All in a good day's work

Nickolas is a local talent. Born and raised in Sanford, now living in Orlando, with a good number of supportive family still in Sanford to keep some of his roots in his hometown. 

These days you can find Nickolas busy, busy, busy between Sanford and Orlando as a free-lance MUA (Make Up Artist) for Mac and doing make-up for Eyekonik Beauty and for Park Avenue Photography

Nickolas' MUA career has led him to some interesting experiences, working with  celebrities, professional athletes, music videos, commercials, and Victoria's secret and Giorgio Armani events.