Monday, February 29, 2016

Deloris T. Van-Cartier is a Treasure

Visit her at Neptune's Treasures for "Art is a Drag" 2016

We are honored to have such a prestigious entertainer sharing her perspectives on the industry and on the craft of drag in general.
Delores has been in the art of Female Impersonation for 21 years. A native of Chicago IL, she currently resides in Tampa, FL and has 18 accredited pageantry titles including 2 national titles that she uniquely conquered within the same year; an achievement that is very rarely seen in the industry.
Delores is also known as “The Patti Labelle Illusionist of the Century” and with great reason.


Sporting 3 college degrees, she is currently working towards her PhD which would make her the 1st transgender African-American woman in history to receive one.
Delores is writing a tell all novel about the life of a transgender woman and entertainer, in hopes to educate the community on what this lifestyle is all about; and it’s not a Drag Race.
She lives by the philosophy: Never dim your own light to let someone else shine and if you can’t be the table cloth, then don’t be the dish rag.

In a wonderful interview for iamstevenmichael.com, Deloris gets specific and personal ~
The biggest misconception is that all of us are “working girls” or in “customer service.” That really bothers me to the point of sadness. I don’t knock people for what they do, but I have always believed in doing things different for me. As far as pageants go… They are all not fixed. Just because you don’t win doesn’t mean it was set up for the other girl. Just bring a better package, that’s all. About me? I’m not as head strong as people think I am. I have my moments of weakness too; I cry and I’m human. I don’t sit in my room at night with a knife at my wrist screaming TAKE ME NOW! (laughing) But I get sad too. I just tend not to show it to the public. That’s what keeps me humble is knowing that I am not perfect. 
I never really was a “partier” so to speak. I don’t feel pressure at all because I have always been my own person for the most part and things like that if I don’t want to do it then I don’t. My persona is very reserved and relaxed. After the show is over, there is life after the stage so I don’t feel a need to be out all night. However, I am human and I will enjoy the occasional cocktail or two while dancing and having a good time. But I like my quiet life and who I am outside of public eyes.  (THIS IS DELORES T. VAN CARTIER, Interview by Steven Michael, 2012/05/30)

We are so lucky to have Delores T. Van-Cartier with us for "Art is a Drag" on March 19 (6-9pm) in historic downtown Sanford, Florida.