Saturday, January 23, 2016

Carol Lee at Neptune's Treasures

You can find Carol Lee most Tuesday nights at one of the longest running events and most popular in Orlando - Twisted Sister Bingo at Hamburger Mary with her gal-pal Miss Sammy.

But come Saturday, March 19, Carol Lee will be the hostess at Neptune's Treasure for the ground-breaking "Art is a Drag" in the historic arts district of Sanford, Florida.

That's right . . . an Art Walk with Drag Queens!
It's going to be a blast and Carol Lee is going to bring it home.

It was not easy finding biographical information on Carol Lee. Much of what we found is probably mostly 'tongue and cheek', but we'll share some of it here and you can ask her in person what is true and what is 'artistic license when you visit her at Neptune's Treasures.
When asked how a person would suddenly decide to become a drag queen. “I don’t think anyone like sets out to be a drag queen,” Carol Lee said “Like I didn’t set out to be a drag queen. I was a Broadway lover. And as I got older my voice changed, but one Broadway diva didn’t. Carol Channing.” As Carol Lee made a wild pose, an obvious imitation of her iconic idol, she began to tell me how she got into drag, this time with significantly more gusto than when she told me how long she had been in the business: I could sing along with her and I found out I could impersonate her and then when I moved down here I wrote a show called The Never-Before Told Life of Carol Channing that I produced and starred in and did it at the Fringe Festival and I did it around Florida. And that kind of got me into drag. Like, I consider myself not a drag queen; I’m a ‘drag-tor,’ like an actor who performs in drag. I know that sounds like [she made a frilly motion with her hands and spoke in a faux French accent] ‘fwa, fwa, fwa’ and everything but I don’t mean it like that ... (Tuesday Night Is HamBingo Night: a Glimpse of the Drag Queen Culture ALISSA WARREN Produced in Peter Ives’ Fall 2010)

No matter how Carol Lee came to be, we are thrilled to have her explore the art of it ALL as part of "Art is a Drag".